I am not an entomologist nor do I have the definitive answer on stink bug control. However, after reading many articles on the internet from technical data to simple suggestions from homeowners with firsthand experience, here are some of the basic things you need to know.
• Stink bugs are a nuisance pest both outdoors and in when on warm fall days they search for a protected site in which they may over-winter.
• Do not squash those armored tanks! In addition to the immediate smell which is released, the odor lingers undetectable to us as invitation to thousands of friends who move in.
• It is best to deal with the stink bugs while they are outdoors. To keep them from moving in, seal any cracks around windows, doors, siding, utility pipes. Use good quality silicone or silicone-latex caulk. Any damaged screens on windows and doors should be repaired or replaced.
• Applying an insecticide can be effective especially if the task of sealing the exterior of your home is difficult. We carry Ortho Home Defense and Bayer Home Pest which have proven to work well but will have to be used weekly while the bugs are attempting to make your home their winter residence.
• Home remedies have been proven to work for some of our employees. One part Dawn Dish Detergent to ten parts water, or the caramel colored Listerine may do the trick when sprayed directly on the insects.
• Adult stink bugs make an early appearance in August and as they search for a winter home their activity peaks in mid September to mid October. Hang in there as the worst should be over in another two to three weeks.
Main Line Gardens is a family-owned business that was established in 1981. More than just a full service garden center and nursery for professional landscaping and hardscaping, Main Line Gardens is an architect of beautiful, functional outdoor living spaces that provide a lifetime of enjoyment. The company's first priority and foremost goal is establishing long-term relationships with its customers by offering exceptional service and the highest quality products. This philosophy has defined its success for over 25 years and will continue for decades to follow. Main Line Gardens' experienced and professional staff takes customers all the way from design through installation, involving them every step of the way in the creation of their own outdoor landscaping paradise. Customers can choose from a full selection of plants, trees, shrubs, mulch and stones from the onsite full service nursery.
Please note that Main Line Gardens is not able to honor Waterloo Gardens gift cards/certificates, item exchanges or returns, broken or damaged items, etc. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.