The wonderful fall weather provides the perfect time for clean up prior to the cold winter months. The tasks you accomplish in autumn pay big dividends in spring. Here is a short list of tasks you will want to complete this month.
• Rake leaves. Left on your lawn, they will cut off sunlight to the grass and trap moisture, encouraging fungal diseases. Do not discard them if you have a place to start a compost pile. Shredded and broken down for a few months, leaves make prime organic matter which improves your soil.
• Weeds die when frost hits, but their seeds survive in the soil, so pull out all that you see and discard.
• Tidy up. Any diseased leaves of trees or shrubs should be raked up and discarded. Removing stalks and foliage of perennials is a matter of taste. Cut them down if you are the neat type, or leave them of you like the look. Ornamental grasses look lovely at least through the fall season.
• Clear out your vegetable garden. Then work composted manure or other organic matter into the bed so that by spring it will be broken down into the soil.
• Resist pruning. If trees or shrubs are pruned now you may stimulate tender new growth that will die with heavy frost. Wait to prune deciduous trees and shrubs that need shaping until the plants are dormant.
Main Line Gardens is a family-owned business that was established in 1981. More than just a full service garden center and nursery for professional landscaping and hardscaping, Main Line Gardens is an architect of beautiful, functional outdoor living spaces that provide a lifetime of enjoyment. The company's first priority and foremost goal is establishing long-term relationships with its customers by offering exceptional service and the highest quality products. This philosophy has defined its success for over 25 years and will continue for decades to follow. Main Line Gardens' experienced and professional staff takes customers all the way from design through installation, involving them every step of the way in the creation of their own outdoor landscaping paradise. Customers can choose from a full selection of plants, trees, shrubs, mulch and stones from the onsite full service nursery.
Please note that Main Line Gardens is not able to honor Waterloo Gardens gift cards/certificates, item exchanges or returns, broken or damaged items, etc. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.